Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Facing Spring

What is it about spring? Hope starts rising and the sap starts running. The air feels delicious. Possibilities abound. After a long dirty winter, I feel reborn. Of course, this rebirth is facilitated in part by the following fab products.

Blistex Tint and Shine I found this in my local Super Drug a few months ago. I'd switched purses in the morning and forgotten to transfer all my essentials into the new bag. I picked this up on a whim and have bought two more since then so I'm never caught without it. The colour is very subtle but it perks up a pale face without looking too obvious. When applied, I find it tingles a bit. This may not be to the taste of all users, especially those with sensitive skin. My mother tried it after seeing it on me, and she said it did sting a bit. That said, it's the perfect thing to swipe across your lips for a little moisture and colour. Blistex has always been my default choice for lip care products. I always have a tub of MedPlus close to hand at home. Of all the brands available, I find Blistex is the least likely to cause irritation or create dependency issues. Some lip balms seem to suck all the moisture out of the lips, leaving the user desperate for one fix after another. The only quibble I have is with packaging, but for £2.25, it seems churlish to complain.

Clarins Moisture Quenching Hydra-Care Lotion
I picked this up at Easter whilst crossing the Channel. Sounds very glam, but if you've been on one of these ferries, you know the reality is quite different. Needless to say, the onboard shop was a bit of a scrum. What I was really looking for was the hydra-care serum. I'd read Hannah Betts rave in the Saturday Times edition. My skin is classic combination, but I was looking for something to cure the dry patches I get, quite literally, from the tracks of my tears. The bf can be quite a bastard sometimes. Unfortunately, the serum wasn't in stock so I picked up the lotion instead. Good thing too because it's been an absolute godsend. The stuff is genius. It's very light but soothing, leaving my skin feeling soft and fresh. It has an SPF 15 as well, which is better than nothing. For those of you with combo skin, you know how difficult it is to find a lotion that satisfies the dry patches without irritating the t-zone. The lotion is oil-free, which is probably why I haven't had any break outs. Highly recommended but I will have to revise my opinion as the weather gets warmer. Clarins has a nice range of products. I've recently made the switch from Clinique, and I'm very pleased with most of what I've tried. The Water Comfort one-step cleanser is very nice. I find the standard moisturizes a bit rich for my skin, but the sensitive line and hydra care are perfect. And I love that the Clarins staff is generous with free samples. I travel a lot, so the miniatures come in very handy.

Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich Foundation This woman is amazing. I know the overall aesthetic a bit retro--think 90's nude/no make-up make-up--but the product itself is genius. I've never had much success with foundation. Either the shade or the consistency is off. When I was a teenager, I didn't mind so much. Apart from the occasional spot, I had pretty amazing skin. Now I'm starting to get older and I need something to get the red out, ease over the rough patches and in general make me look the way a good night's sleep used to. Bobbi Brown's moisturizer does all this. I have turned into one of those women who needs to 'do her face' in the morning, but in a good way. You'll pay more for this than you would for a drug store brand, but it is worth it. The website seems to be up and running now. When I visited the counter at Selfridges, the staff were very helpful and quite kind in dealing with customers. They were very patient with two young tweens, sending them away with free samples.

No comments: