Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Nineties Nostalgia

Flipping through this month's fashion mags was enough to make me believe that Kurt Cobain was still alive, Courtney Love still had some shred of credibility and Billy Corgan might save rock 'n roll. (While the 80's and the 00's were all about fashion for me, the 90's will always be defined by the music.)

I am loving the boyfriend look, feeling slightly bemused to see starlets mixing vintage with billion dollar bags, and wondering if it's possible to do grunge the second time round. I've said no to leggings and sweater dresses, strictly because the memory of my 15 year old self strutting her stuff in footless tights and graphic prints is too painful to resurrect. As a woman of a certain age, I've always maintained it's important to draw a line under certain trends once one has had a go. That said, I don't think I'll be able to resist digging my dad's cardigan out of the closet, although I may not be wearing it with leggings this time round.

No comments: